Novant Health UVA Health System’s mission is to deliver the most remarkable patient experience, in every dimension, every time and our volunteers play an important role in fulfilling that expectation. At Novant Health UVA Health System, we have volunteers at five area locations that make a positive difference every day for our patients, their families and our staff. Volunteering locations include:
Learn more about us
- Prince William Medical Center
- Haymarket Medical Center
- Caton Merchant House
- Lake Manassas Cancer Center
- Aubergine Thrift Shop
Requirements & Process for Volunteering
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Complete the appropriate online volunteer application.
- Interview with a Volunteer Services Staff Member – After your application is reviewed, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Complete a TB Screening Questionnaire.
- Proof of COVID19 vaccination required
- Receive an Annual Flu Vaccination. (during flu season only)
- Provide proof of vaccinations for MMR and Varicella or have labs drawn to determine immunity free of charge. (labs drawn only if over 18 years old)
- Submit to a background check. (18 years or older)
- Commit to work one three-hour shift per week for a minimum of one year of continuous service. (except for College Summer and Summer Teen Programs)
- Purchase a uniform for $20.00.
- Complete an online and in-person Hospital Orientation.
- Undergo role-specific training in your assigned service area.
- Begin Volunteering!
*Please note that each of the volunteer programs may have specific requirements.
Benefits of volunteering include:
- Free Flu Shots (18 years and older)
- Complimentary coffee or tea before or after your shift
- 10% discount in Dining Room, gift shops and thrift store
- Develop new skills
- Bring fun and fulfillment to your life
- Volunteering is good for your mind and body
- Have a newfound sense of purpose
- Gain a natural sense of accomplishment through helping others
- Volunteering boosts your immune system!
- Make new friends!
- Support your community
- HSFCU (Healthcare Systems Federal Credit Union)
- Mileage reimbursement through RSVP for volunteers over the age of 55
- Two luncheon meetings a year
- Annual Service Awards
- College Scholarship opportunities available
- Plus many, many more!
Learn how you can get involved
Adult/college year round volunteers
Adult / College Year-Round applicants 18 years and older need to complete our Adult Volunteer application online.
College summer volunteers
For students enrolled in any accredited college or university, we offer a special College Summer program to gain experience in a healthcare setting. Applicants must commit to volunteering for 8-10 consecutive weeks during the summer. Deadline for applications is April 15th.
Summer teen program
All applicants must have completed their sophomore year of High School by summer 2020. We offer a choice of four two-week sessions which will introduce students to the culture of the hospital. Applicants must complete and submit application packet by April 15th.
Junior volunteer program
Our Junior Volunteer program offers high school students 16-18 years old the opportunity to experience the joy of helping others throughout the year.