You can do a lot to fight vascular disease by making some changes in your lifestyle. The team at Novant Health UVA Health System will help you identify some of the changes you need to make and provide resources to help you. Some of the most common lifestyle changes that we recommend are:
- Quit smoking and using tobacco products
- Control high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes and heart disease
- Have regular checkups with your doctor
- Have your doctor check your lipid profile (fat in the bloodstream)
- Eat foods low in saturated fats, cholesterol and sodium
- Achieve and maintain a desirable weight
- Exercise regularly
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink
Common medications used to treat vascular disease work to lower your cholesterol and blood pressure. You may also be prescribed a blood thinner to help reduce your chances of forming a blood clot.
Treatments and procedures
- Carotid stenting
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Percutaneous interventions
Find a Novant Health UVA Health System location near you.