Whether you are having a baby, recovering from surgery or need long-term care, Novant Health UVA Health System medical centers iare here to provide a wide range of inpatient services to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
What is a hospitalist?
A hospitalist is an internal medicine doctor that specializes in providing inpatient medical care. When you are admitted or directly referred for admission, our hospitalists will coordinate your care with your primary care physician. Once your treatment is complete, the hospitalist will help you transition back to your primary care physician if ongoing care is needed. If you do not have a primary care physician, we can refer you to one.
One of the greatest advantages of our hospitalist program is that our physicians are available around the clock to provide you and your family with advanced care when you need it the most.
Our hospitalists serve you in a variety of ways, including:
- Visiting bedside and answering questions.
- Ordering tests, medications and treatments.
- Communicating with you, your family and your primary care physician about your condition and care.
- Consulting with additional specialists, as needed.
- Providing discharge instructions about further care, medication and follow-up.
- Sending a hospital care summary to your primary care physician.