If you are faced with a serious illness, you may benefit from Novant Health UVA Health System supportive care. Also known as palliative care, this specialized service is designed to maximize quality of life for you and your loved ones by minimizing the symptoms, pain and stress associated with your diagnosis.
At Novant Health UVA Health System we recognize that it takes a team approach to manage a serious illness. That’s why our services provide an extra layer of support during treatment. Our specially trained doctors, nurses and support staff work directly with you and your other doctors to provide the care that’s right for you.
Our services include:
- Expert treatment of symptoms such as pain, nausea,
fatigue and anxiety.
- Emotional and spiritual support.
- Assistance with decision making and guidance for
- Novant Health UVA Health System Choices and
Champions program, which includes assistance with
advance directives, such as healthcare power of
attorney or a living will.
Care, close to home
When is palliative care right for me?
Any adult living with a chronic or serious illness can
benefit from palliative care, no matter the stage of your illness. Coping with an illness
becomes harder with time and quality of life may suffer.
You should consider palliative care consultative
- Your quality of life has been suffering because of
- Your condition has worsened despite ongoing
- You are relying more on family and friends.
- You need help understanding your options for
- You have had increasing trips to the doctor’s offi ce or
- The information given to you by your doctor was
confusing and hard to understand.